"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness."
~Aristotle

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Grabstein, Schmelztiegel, Vánagandr

Grabstein
It's been a whirlwind few hours. From Harvey Weinstein to Mayim Bialik, from why #MeToo is a must to why there are not hashtags for Mogadishu. The thing I've learnt from Harvey Weinstein and #MeToo is that people are always guilty of evils lesser, greater, and middling.

If there's anything I've learnt from Mayim Bialik and Mogadishu, it will be that people are stupid and politically correct by nature.

Come to think of it, Kiritsugu was right when it comes to actual human nature.


At the same time, Harvey's likely grabstein makes the timing of the first Heaven's Feel movie look awkward.



Schmelztiegel
The Crucible/crucible. I don't know whether I should use the capital letter or small letter when it comes to the third alphabet of the ABC. When I first started out writing A Requiem From Winter Past, it was first known as A Ranger's Tale. I wasn't thinking clearly on what I truly wanted to write, just that I wanted to write. That was during the prolonged period of time where I was suffering at the hands of people, environment, and those who actually didn't know a single thing about me (near 20 years to be exact). I didn't have a goal, I didn't even have my own self-worth. Perhaps the only thing separating me from a dead person is the top of a nearby building. And it didn't help that I was forced to confront the worst in people, be they Christians or non-Christians.

As time went by, I actually realised I've accidentally done something... well, it's definitely not biblical. Rather, I might have unwittingly created the pre-flood world where Noah was living. Then again, I'm definitely not the only one guilty of such an accident. Works like A Song of Ice and Fire, Akame Ga Kill, and Berserk are classic examples of what I've unwittingly pulled off.

Note: This is for those who like both Studio Ghibli and Game of Thrones on FB.

Vánagandr
The saying "a wolf knows best the sinful man" was inspired by a quote in the first BlazBlue game where Hakumen's stage was concerned. More specifically, what was written in the description. Afterwards, things went downhill swiftly. Not in a bad way, but rather in a good way. In a world where God doesn't exist, anybody and everybody can be one so as to speak. If human beings are really like that, then Aeravor is their mirror. Of course, there is more than a way to do the mirror thing. It's just that I chose the cruellest way. Why I say it's the cruellest way? Well, only an idiot will say Aeravor is a good man. 

Note: Not intended as a shot fired at Harvey Weinstein while he's down, grabstein is the German word for a tombstone. Schmelztiegel means crucible in German. Although it can also be written as tiegel, going through the details means I opted for the longer (and arguably cooler) version. Google translate interface is really that damn good. As for Vánagandr, that's one of Loki's kids. And I'm not referring to Tom Hiddleston.

What this post is all about
Firstly, my brain is a 50-50 atm. On one hand, the focus isn't there. On the other hand, I'm not physically tired. It feels as if my brain is in a blank state. Secondly, I've managed to do the relevant changes when it comes to magic. Thankfully, it's only 1 chapter.

The usage of runes is inspired by... well, I don't know whether it's a case of plagiarising or whatever. Because I want to be very ambitious, I decided to create the ABC system. When I say ABC, I'm not referring to Chloe Bennet Wang. I'm referring to a common system used by Yanks, Brits, and Aussies alike. Not to mention S'poreans as well.

When I decided on the 26 alphabets system for my runes, there's a major hiccup. How in Dante's Inferno am I going to accommodate different runes into different letters? Because this is about magic, there's the obvious need to create variation instead of monotony.

Basically, the first thing I did was to try separating 26 alphabets into equal portions. The problem is, it's very hard to create an even proportion when it comes to allocating 26 letters into any number of brackets more than two. Then I came up with an idea.

In the ABC system, there are five vowels. The presence of AEIOU inspired me to create a bridge of sorts. Where the vowel bridge would lead, I leave the guessing to you. However, this ended up creating another problem. Because my plan was to create four brackets, it's absolutely impossible to try dividing 21 letters this way. In fact, not even a Jewish mathematician can do that.

I was forced to play with my brain again like a cat grappling with an eel. Thankfully, it didn't take this S'porean cat too long to make that slippery fish go "oh mak kau..." (note: You don't have to ask me what is "oh mak kau" if you got a Malay friend/colleague/girlfriend, be you a local S'porean or foreign talent)

How the system goes:
First bracket of letters-B, C, D, F, G
Second bracket of letters-H, J, K, L, M
Third bracket of letters-N, P, Q, R, S
Fourth bracket of letters-T, V, W, X, Y
Vowels-A, E, I, O, U
Null-Z

I know I've yet to explain the null part, so let me explain it. But before that, let me rephrase the ABC into my very runic lexicon. Note that the order goes from A to Z.

Aark, Bors, Cers, Darg, Es, Fleig, Gis, Hel, Ia, Jorm, Kaer, Les, Mar, Nid, Or, Pros, Qui, Rag, Ste, Tev, Uf, Van, Wod, Xiv, Yet, Zyf.

While above list reads like something written, they're meant to be spoken. The pronunciation would sound a bit like how one pronounces the individual alphabets. In English, no less. In terms of written form, we'll be talking about glyphs. Or something like... this? Either way, combining glyphs and runes is fair and legal in fantasy. If anyone asks you who said so, use limpeh's name. Going by the brackets I've devised, the system should look like this.

Spring: Bors, Cers, Darg, Fleig, Gis
Summer: Hel, Jorm, Kaer, Les, Mar
Autumn: Nid, Pros, Qui, Rag, Ste
Winter: Tev, Van, Wod, Xiv, Yet

Yes, I know I've yet to explain the last alphabet. I'll get to that. Trust me. Right now, allow me to explain how the individual runes in their respective brackets work. Because I'm too lazy to do extensive brain work, I decided that each bracket will have the same properties allotted to the runes inside.

The first aspect (i.e. properties stated above) refers to the element. Going by the spring, summer, autumn, and winter order, the elements are water, fire, earth, and air. Spring symbolises rebirth in the same way water represents life (no lame jokes on "if it swallows us, we die", please). Summer symbolises passion in the same way fire represents both its destructive and constructive nature. Autumn symbolises the nearing to an end just like how the earth is associated with the necessity of harvest. Lastly, winter symbolises demise in the same way the element of air represents emptiness. The first rune in any bracket will always belong to the first aspect.

The second aspect refers to civilisation. For spring, it represents peace. For summer, it represents prosperity. For autumn, it represents turmoil. For winter, it represents war. The second rune in any bracket belongs to the second aspect.

The third aspect refers to the nature of all living things. Unlike the first two aspects, the third aspect merely divides the four brackets into two groups. Spring and summer belong to the physical side while autumn and winter belong to the mental side. The third rune in any bracket belongs to the third aspect.

The fourth aspect refers to secondary elements associated with primary elements under the first aspect. For spring, it is wood. For summer, it is lightning. For autumn, it is steel. For winter, it is ice.

The fifth and final aspect refers to what truly binds the runic powers to the world itself. For spring, it is Alfheim. For summer, it is Muspelheim. For autumn, it is Svartalfheim. For winter, it is Niflheim.

As for the bridge runes (i.e. the vowels), they're there as bridges connecting the runes to the desired effect. Because the usage of magic involves the flow of power rather than pulling a rabbit out of the hat, a vowel must be used in order to translate the power of any rune into something substantial. Otherwise, magic would just be no more than a concept alone. Every bracket has its own bridge runes. For spring, it is the Es rune. For summer, it is the Ia rune. For autumn, it is the Or rune. For winter, it is the Uf rune. As for where the Aark rune stands in the whole order of things...

Zyf and nullification
As the rune of nullification, Zyf can render any magical effect, thaumaturgy or metallurgy, useless. In other words, Zyf is the ultimate counter to all things magic. Like the other runes, Zyf requires a bridge rune. That rune is Aark. However, it must also be stated that...

1. The Zyf rune is useless against anything non-magic. This is because magic is a power meant to bend reality. Or rather, it is the only power capable of doing that.

2. Usage of this rune is rare at best, unseen at worst. What this means is that only very few individuals are able to pull this off.

3. Unlike other runes, Zyf is never used in crafting weapons and armour.

Thaumaturgy
Thaumaturgy refers to the creation of any phenomenon. It is meant to affect the natural order of things including living matter. As a power, thaumaturgy cannot be used on non-living matter.

Usage of runes: Thaumaturgy involves two runes mentally drawn. The letters must be clearly registered to achieve the desired effect. Otherwise, either the magic won't materialise or it may have deadly volatile effects instead.

Metallurgy
Metallurgy refers to the reinforcement of non-living matter, be it merely strengthening or conferring additional properties. As a power, metallurgy cannot be used on living matter or reality.

Usage of runes: Metallurgy requires the etching of runes onto any weapon or armour. Like thaumaturgy, metallurgy also requires two runes to be mentally drawn. However, this requires less focus than thaumaturgy due to the physical presence of the runes. The manner of metallurgy effect is decided by which runes are inscribed.

Every school is a good school?
Whether we like it or not, there will always be differences abound. It's like imagining Tampines Junior College being on the par with Raffles Junior College. I don't have to attend Tampines JC to tell you that's a load of bull, let alone any graduate or student.

However, magic isn't education. Rather, it is nothing more than a form of usable power. And nothing less than that as well. Because of physical limitations, any user can only tap into one bracket out of four available when it comes to thaumaturgy. As for metallurgy, the process of inscribing runes is there for a reason. Of course, exceptions may or may not exist. That's up to me to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment