"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness."
~Aristotle

Saturday 11 November 2017

Khaw Boon Wan, Donald Trump, and Ahnuld: Total Recall it like a schizo (Currently updated @11/11/17)

Edit: This post is too short by my own standard. And besides, half of it was irrelevant. So might as well add more stuff. And I mean the truly relevant ones. For those who have been through it, just scroll down to Mr Chou and GAR-cher. Otherwise, it's up to you whether you want to torture yourself.
Ireland? What manner of (druidic) sorcery is this?
Do I look like an Ulsterman born in the year of the dog to them?

Firstly, let me just say that no offence is intended on the post title. Schizophrenia is no joke, denial will only get the victim into deeper trouble. Already, global society isn't exactly known for dealing with mental illness.

In other news, it's been more than a year since Donald Trump became President Trump. The American Civil War is still raging (actually, it has never ceased since the days of Union versus Confederates), I have yet to see anything proving my cynicism is wrong. Don't get me wrong, I have got no problems with Americans. Rather, I blame it on American problems rather than Americans.

And speaking of Trump, I don't know whether I'm the only one smart enough to realise flip-flopping has always been his favourite hobby. Okay, that might have been a hyperbole, something which Trump has been known to do. But still, the numbers are too glaring. 253 billion worth of business deals despite crying foul like more than a year ago. And that's not considering alternating between diplomacy and fire+brimstone when it comes to North Korea. It's like wondering whether he playing it on purpose or truly a case of... well, being a schizo instead of sounding like a schizo.

Speaking of (sounding) schizo, I came across something earlier like last week or so.

Yes, it's true. I think I'm really total-recalling it like a schizo. No offence intended towards anybody excluding myself.


With the offensive part done, I need to Total Recall my runes

http://glaive-d-barde.blogspot.com/2017/10/they-killed-lancer.html
http://glaive-d-barde.blogspot.com/2017/11/armed-and-dangerous-but-no-longer-young.html

The system felt weird to me. It's like seeing Emilia Clarke changing the colour of her hair. Don't get me wrong, I like her Dany look. The problem is, the Dany look is definitely better in the televised world of Westeros. In the same way Westeros looks (and feels) different from the U.K, I actually prefer Emilia (Clarke) the natural brunette when it comes to beyond Westeros (and Essos as well for that matter).

Why I'm mentioning Emilia Clarke is very simple. I know the reason why her new Dany look felt strange to me, but I don't know why the incumbent rune system created by yours truly felt the same. In fact, it didn't feel 100% right when I started doing it. Since I couldn't pinpoint the source of unease, I decided to go ahead with it.

Then I realised the reason. More specifically, it's a case of possible answers found than something absolute. It felt too draggy. It's like flogging a dead horse. Not everyone can pull off a Peter Jackson like a king. People tried to do it like a boss, said boss ended up burning him/herself like Denethor II. If you think it's just one local Singaporean getting burnt, you're wrong. Terribly wrong. So terribly and horribly wrong like this poor old man below.


Enough about bashing others, let's start bashing myself. So where did I stop? Oh, the draggy part. It's too much of a drag when I think back about it. I enjoyed the process of creating, just that I suddenly remembered that gnawing feeling. It's like being a finely crafted door with termites having a feast inside.

Let's streamline this
Stretching your brain too much is not good for any person of creativity. It's like running a nation. Surely you wouldn't like that feeling when you have to sell your country's debt to another country. Still, it's a necessity (I mean the creativity part even though I have to admit running a country means killing yourself in a certain sense). Therefore, I decided to streamline the runic system. The words and deum system stay unchanged, just that the usage has to be tweaked.

Thaumaturgy
No more 24 different effects or whatever. One effect per deum and not one effect per rune. However, the Nihilo deum effect stays the same. After all, there's only Zyf and Aark.

Earrach:
Upon using any rune within this deum (Bors, Cers, Darg, Fleig, and Gis), the caster gains an increase in physical dexterity. At the same time, even the most grievous wounds can be healed in a matter of moments.

Samhradh:
Upon using any rune within this deum (Hel, Jorm, Kaer, Les, and Mar), the caster gains a spike in adrenaline. During this state, the caster has a heightened threshold of pain together with an increase in physical force and pace.

Fomhar:
Upon using any rune within this deum (Nid, Pros, Qui, Rag, and Ste), the caster gains a focused mind of steel. During this state, attacks hit more accurately with a lack of fear towards death contributing to whatever defensive technique the caster is capable of.

Geimhreadh:
Upon using any rune within this deum (Tev, Van, Wod, Xiv, and Yet), the caster gains the ability to inflict severe injuries via any means (i.e. physical, magic, or both). Such attacks are capable of cutting through armour via sheer force.


Notes:
1. Bridge runes are still needed to create the effect (Es, Ia, Or, and Uf respectively).

2. Those capable of using magic will always be binded to one of the four deums. Basically, this also means Aeravor is (possibly) a monster like the real Vánagandr.

3. The effect of each deum is now more in sync with what the respective seasons represent. Spring represents vibrancy, something synonymous with healing and physical nimbleness. Summer represents passion, something associated with heightened strength and constitution. Autumn represents melancholy and the waning of physical strength, things linked with the necessity of mental strength. Winter represents the end of all things, something pointing towards the stranglehold mortality has over life itself.

4. I suddenly realised one thing: I was born in the month of Samhain where November is actually the first month of the Gaelic/Celtic calendar. Coincidentally, winter reflects the years of my life and how I view the world in general. Maybe I'll end up getting a girlfriend born in the month of April. After all, Aibreán is the last month of spring leading up to summer.

Runic weapons
Actually, all magic weapons are runic weapons and vice versa. Let's see things this way: Man and woman=human beings; Human beings=man and woman. Failure to understand this logic means the inability to respect women. Likewise, failure to recognise the logic behind runic weapons and magic weapons means there's nothing more I can say to you when it comes to common sense logic.

To put it in a nutshell, the carving of runes is the only reason why magic weapons are possible. Same old story: One deum rune and one bridge rune belonging to the chosen deum are needed for the SOP. This time around, runic weapons are streamlined into three categories.

1. Weapons of ice: The crafters have strongly negative views of the world which ranges from cynicism to outright animosity. Such crafters are known as the Gefrieren.

2. Weapons of fire: The crafters are either those harbouring a great love for the world or those cursed with destructive tendencies (and yes, I know what I've written sounds bipolar, but trust me when I say it is not). Such crafters are known as the Incendie.

3. Weapons of lightning: The crafters are basically seen as either whimsical, nigh crazy, or even truly crazy. In other words, they're as unpredictable as Susanoo. Such crafters are known as the Delbhna.


Notes:
1. If the crafter has the character traits of more than one type, that crafter, in turn, is able to create the runic weapons under the relevant categories. For example, a crafter with the character traits of a Gefrieren and Incendie can craft weapons of either type.

2. However, above statement is a case of rare occurrences. This is due to the need for the crafter to have strong character traits associated with the crafting type instead of merely the presence. Simply put, it's a case of nature plus extent rather than nature alone.

3. Crafters are mortals after all. Which means in an entire lifetime, a crafter is most likely able to craft only two weapons. Three at most.

4. The Grail is a special category of runic weapons. While they are powerful in their own right, a strong resonation with the wielder's character would read like "supercharged magic weapon". It's like comparing normal missiles with nuclear missiles. Both are powerful, but one is way more powerful than the other.

5. Here's a scary fact: Any Grail contains part of the crafter's identity. Apparently, something went horribly correct somewhere. You may find it interesting, but I don't enjoy the notion of wielding a weapon that thinks like a Juuchi Yosamu.

6. Here an interesting trivia: The pommel of Fragarach (i.e. Aeravor's version) has the shape of a ring. I've seen a number of swords (not the ones used for killing, mind you). And guess what? The ring pommel is something real. And I'm not referring to "made in Korea".

7. Gefrieren is the German word for freeze/ice.

8. Incendie is the French word for fire/burning/conflagration/blaze. Apparently, the verbally correct version is le incendie.

9. Delbhna is actually a Gaelic Irish tribe claiming kinship with the Dál gCais, through descent from Dealbhna son of Cas. I'm not sure of the potential indication, but it seems that this is the Irish version of "limpeh".

I need to sleep now
I got work tomorrow. Unlike Jack Neo, my life sucks in the sense that I'm not entitled to do the things I like for a living. In fact, I need to wake up at 7 am tomorrow due to SGH doing its very own mobilisation. Hence, I might as well end this post with... like a couple of videos?

I know this MV may seem depressing to you, hence I decided to up one more vid to make you all feel better.




Currently 11/11/2017, let's continue
I'll need to do some minor (?) spoilers here. In the previous drafts, there were two characters. One is named Ziron, the other called Erik. In the current draft, however, I created a problem. Namely, whether the bro duo is still relevant to the plot. There are characters which I don't mind being extras or worse. Ziron and Erik are NOT two of them. In the event which there's a second shot, it's possible that they'll be back like Arnie. Most likely, however, it's going to be quite the opposite.

So does it feel like a bummer? After all, Erik may (or may not) be a character inspired by someone I happen to know/admire. In fact, the original plan was for him to be Aeravor's second teacher after Ziron couldn't do a thing about reforming (?) that bastard protagonist of mine. The problem lies in Fragarach. That thing is intended as a plot device linked to the bro duo. The presence of Emhylea threw the original Sanders into a state of chaos. Period. This was because Ziron and Erik were intended to perform the role Emhylea is doing right now.

Interestingly, it didn't feel like a bummer. I'm not someone who has the tendency to develop an emotional attachment. Even for those currently in my life, I am no different from someone staying true to the Samhain winter since everyone in the world is staying in spring or summer. At worst, it's autumn for them, unlike this guy who has to face three months' worth of harsh winter. So yeah, it's not that bad beyond my occasional bouts of emotional instability (read: blizzard happens, you know).

Technique and deums
Same as what I've done so far in the sense that I'm gonna streamline this. I'll have to give credit to the most unexpected source of motivation. Not my future girlfriend, but Cryptic. When Elemental Evil was declared a failure where Neverwinter Online is concerned, one thing stood out for me. And that is the decision to streamline things. Granted the teething process was troublesome and outright problematic at worst, but it doesn't take a Jewish rocket scientist to know the positive side to streamlining. In fact, I'm not even a Jew beyond the fact that I was treated like one from age 11 (at Henderson Primary School) to age 13 and beyond (at Gan Eng Seng Secondary School). And I was still seen as a Jew from ITE Dover all the way till 32 SIB.

Okay, I know I'm griping here. Let's continue before I start commenting on why I prefer Thorin Oakenshield unlike my fellow S'poreans (who are most likely pro-elven sans the foreign Lee).

Wonder if my super mignonne legal housebreaker knew about the other side of foreign Lee...

Earrach:
The technique of Earrach is focused on agility and fast hitting moves.  While power is definitely lacking, the user of Scil Earrach is more than capable of recovering from missed attacks in the blink of an eye. The five runes represent the guiding arm (Bors), moving feet (Cers), perceiving mind (Darg), flicking wrist (Fleig), and ever-changing tempo (Gis).

Samhradh:
The technique of Samhradh is focused on force and aggression. Mobility is only secondary, a ruthless streak and sheer momentum will win the day for those of Scil Samhradh. The five runes represent the mighty swing (Hel), bleeding pierce (Jorm), holding ground (Kaer), gathering pace (Les), and inner wrath (Mar).

Fomhar:
The technique of Fomhar is focused on defending and counter-offensive. To the user of Scil Fomhar, power is the sword while the mind is the shield. The five runes represent the thieving bite (Nid), parrying wall (Pros), sudden burst (Qui), gambit's trade (Rag), and two-hit hand (Ste).

Geimhreadh:
The technique of Geimhreadh is focused on mental steel and a heart bereft of fear. To the user of Scil Geimhreadh, survival and fatalism are brothers while death is the greatest dual-edged sword. The five runes represent the frigid gaze (Tev), single stroke (Van), fearless stand (Wod), gambler's derring-do (Xiv), and living steel (Yet).

Nihilo:
The technique of Nihilo is a mystery to all. Some say it doesn't exist, other say users of such Scil are real. Either way...


Notes:
1. Bridge runes are redundant for a reason. A bridge rune represents the personality of the user, something justifying the user's right to use his/her chosen Scil. Es indicates either a hopeful outlook despite the odds or a hedonistic nature. Ia indicates either an aggressive nature or passionate character. Or indicates melancholy while Uf indicates fatalism.

3. I'd like to include cynicism as well, but it turned out that I'm creating a cynical world which no sane Singaporean would want to touch. Not even with a ten-foot pole by my own guess. Which means cynicism is not needed in this context.

4. There will be times where a potential user is actually eligible for more one Scil. Unlike the previous version, I decided to retcon the whole thing. Simply put, only one Scil allowed per user.

5. In the event where the user is eligible for more than one Scil, the decisive factor is chaos. Chaos may not be fun to tame, but it sure is fun to use. Just ask Wanda whether her Chaos magic is capable of charming Nightcrawler, accidentally or otherwise. After all, Thor did say "Beauty and power are yours to command, fair Wanda".

How the runes would look like
Firstly and foremost, I'm too lazy to immolate my brain cells. Secondly, I'm either a tech idiot or a tech Amish. This is unlike 99.9999999.........% of the global population. Unless I get a girlfriend, I doubt things are going to change, be it for the better or worse. Therefore, I'm going to mess around with the actual ABC for my runes. Note that I'll be listing them in alphabetical order since the written order is different from the order of classification.

Aark: Imagine it as the capital A realigned upside down.

Bors: Looks like the capital B, but with triangular modification done to the two round areas (any image of your dream radiographer girl baring her cleavage during work should be seen as a case of unintended consequences. After all, I don't want to get myself slaughtered by my future girlfriend's BFFs plus my future mom-in-law).

Cers: A pentagon minus the line below.

Darg: It's just a triangle turned to the right. Nothing else to see here, move on.

Es: Seen Justice League? Know Aquaman? Seen his trident? It's a case of three points facing down. Also, I haven't seen Gal Gadot donning her breastplate yet. No innuendos intended because Wonder Woman does wear her breastplate correctly. Unfortunately, Batman and Superman are too dumb to wear their underwear inside.

Fleig: Looks like the capital letter F, but with the top two lines slanting downwards.

Gis: You have something like [ plus something that looks like > at the bottom right.

Hel: The capital letter H. Yes, I'm really that unoriginal.

Ia: Just a straight line going from top to bottom instead of left to right.

Jorm: Write the capital letter L on a piece of paper. Then make the L face a mirror. No, I'm not joking here.

Kaer: Capital letter K bending over. If it doesn't look like a tripod, it means you're too dumb to understand basic instructions.

Les: Refer to Hel.

Mar: Capital letter M turned to the left. I think I've seen that before, though. Like during some maths lesson. Dunno.

Nid: Similar to Hel and Les, but slightly tipped to the right. It should look like a lightning bolt (hopefully, the PAP government won't sue me for copyright infringement. I'm too poor to fight the AGC in court, but I'm also too prideful to apologise for something so trivial).

Or: A long rectangle. Yes, you're reading this right. A long rectangle.

Pros: Basically, it looks like a triangular flag complete with a flagpole.

Quis: Looks like the Or rune, but with a small line drawn horizontally across the bottom right.

Rag: Looks like the capital letter R, but with the top round part being triangular instead.

Ste: Ever tried using the calculator? Ever imagined what 5 would look like on the calculator screen?

Tev: An arrow pointing upwards. The top part should only be slightly slanted at either side.

Uf: Long rectangle minus the line at the bottom.

Van: Basically the capital letter V placed upside down. Like Aark, no less.

Wod: Two mountain peaks. I'm not referring to a woman's breasts, but the capital letter M. I don't need my future girlfriend's BFFs conspiring with my future mom-in-law to slaughter me, tyvm.

Xiv: Literally the capital letter X.

Yet: Capital letter Y placed upside down à la La Tour Eiffel.

Zyf: Looks like capital letter Z, but with the slanting line set straight instead.


P.S: Okay, the SGH mobilisation has bitten a massive chunk off my focus. My brain is now entering hibernation mode, I've yet to eat dinner. Apparently, not even Starbucks is powerful enough. The peppermint ice mocha was nice, though.

Add P.S: Ever wonder what happens when a boy of Samhain meets a girl of Aibreán during the month of November?

No comments:

Post a Comment